warning iconThe CLC is temporarily closed due to COVID-19 pandemic until October 20 or as soon as conditions and regulations allow so that we can reopen our doors to you. For more information on CSM's COVID-19 response, visit ready.csmd.edu/covid-19.
MENU button MENU
Children leaning over a wall

Fact Sheet

The St. Charles Children's Learning Center:

  • Is located on the College of Southern Maryland's La Plata Campus
  • Opened on January 30, 2006 with 20 students ages 2-4 years old
  • More than $500,000 of the Center's construction costs were donated by community members, business leaders, students, and members of the College of Southern Maryland's faculty and staff
  • Operates year–round, Monday – Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., in accordance with the college’s academic calendar, observing all holidays and academic breaks
  • Is licensed by the Maryland State Department of Education's (MSDE) Office of Child Care (OCC), license #08–132502
  • Serves up to 97 children, ages 24 months through 12 years old
  • Maintains the following MSDE headcount and teacher/student ratio standards:
Age Group Maximum Headcount Teacher/Student Ratio
Two-year-olds (24 months - 36 months) 24 6:1
Preschoolers (3 years - 4 years) 58 10:1
Before/After school care (5 years - 12 years) 15 15:1
  • The center's 10,000 square feet of learning space includes nine child-centered classrooms, a gymnasium, and a prep kitchen
  • Outdoor learning is conducted via campus field trips and within the Center's landscaped play area
  • In order to assist students attending the College of Southern Maryland, the Center reserves 25% of its spaces for the children of CSM students; the other 75% of the student body is comprised of children within the community, including those whose parents are members of the College of Southern Maryland's faculty and staff

Back to top